PRTESOL (Puerto Rico Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a nonprofit organization affiliated to TESOL. Its purpose is to stimulate professional development, disseminate information about research, books and other materials related to the teaching of English as a Second Language (ESL). PRTESOL organizes activities to keep up-to-date with current trends in the teaching of ESL, to share knowledge and experiences and to meet with other professionals in the field.
The Metro Chapter is a branch of PRTESOL covering the municipalities of Vega Alta, Vega Baja, Dorado, Corozal, Toa Alta, Toa Baja, Naranjito, Bayamón, Guaynabo, Cataño, San Juan, Trujillo Alto, and Carolina. Our chapter organizes activities to keep teachers up-to-date with the current trends in the teaching of English as a Second Language, to share knowledge and experiences, and to meet and network with other professionals in the field. We hold a yearly conference, several smaller professional development activities, and social gatherings throughout the year.
Do you teach English in Puerto Rico?
Do you need a jumpstart that will get you on your feet again?
Are you in a Teacher Improvement Plan?
Are you in graduate school in an ESL related field?
Do you wish you could receive quality workshops in the latest trends?
Do you wish to belong to a professional association that meets your needs?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you would probably benefit from joining our community of life-long learners at PRTESOL.
PRTESOL MISSION STATEMENT
PRTESOL is a not-for-profit professional organization that is dedicated to:
- promoting scholarship and professional development.
- providing opportunities for study and research.
- disseminating information and research on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages.
- working cooperatively towards the improvement of instruction in all programs which seek to provide students with the opportunity to become proficient English language learners.
- coordinating information with local, stateside, and international professional organizations with similar goals.
- promoting the recognition of English as an additional language tool for communication, and not as a supplanting means of expression at the expense of the learners' native language and culture.
Together we can do great things to improve the teaching of English in Puerto Rico. This is a forum for all ESL educators to share ideas and opinions to better the profession and our students in particular.
If you have any questions about our organization feel free to direct your inquiries to
If you have any questions about our Metro Chapter feel free to direct your inquiries to
For membership information please write to